|Brushy Mountain Branches|
|Our English Beginning: It is believed that our MARLOW family originated in MARLOW, England, a town in the county of Buckinghamshire on the River Thames, near Windsor.
The surname Marlow is a habitational place-name, which is a type of hereditary surname, and is derived from the name of the place in which the first bearer lived. Marlow is derived from is Morlaix, in Brittany, a peninsula in the northwest of France. Formerly known as Armorica, a possession of the Roman Empire, this land consists of a plateau with a deeply indented coast and is broken by hills in the west.
Earliest Marlow Records:The earliest known records of the name in America shows that Thomas Marloe was pesent near Jamestown on Janary 30 1624. He was brought to Virginia aboard the vessel Bona Nova and was on the muster list of the "Governor's men" at Pasbehaigh. Pasbehaighs was a Indian village near Jamestown where a number of the colonists lived by 1624.
The Lower Norfolk County court records of July 1651 show that Davy Marraloe was "brought forward by church wardens for getting his now wife with child before marriage".
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Nicholas and Jane Marleaw and their three children, who arrived in Virginia in 1630; Rebecca Marlowe, who came to New England in 1635; William Marlow, who settled in Maryland in 1656.
Between 1653 and 1714, over 30 individuals named Marlow were listed as new imigrants to Virginia.
The Quest for our Roots:
About 1935, Edward B Hayes told that the Marlow family came from Scotland. Edward Hayes was the son of Harold Hayes and had lived his entire life on the Brushy Mountains of Wilkes Co NC.
There were three James Marlows living as neighbors in the early 1800's:
On this tract of land lies his remains today, in a cemetery with many other family members. Although James Sr has no marked grave, it is my belief that he, too, rests in this cemetery. All except three graves are unmarked, in 2001. This cemetery is slipping from existance as it is slowly becoming part of the forest where it is located. Trees growing through graves and soon the cemetery will be lost forever.
James Marlow Sr owned a vast area of land that stretched from the Rocky Creek Rd, now known as the Brushy Mountain Rd, over to Vannoy Ridge Rd, once known as Pine Hill rd.
The search for the Marlow family was concentrated on area around the Liberty Baptist Church, as this is the where the Marlows first settled before 1790. Early church records prove that many of the Marlows were members of the Liberty Church.
The Brushy Mountains area is still a quiet rural community today in 2008. Many changes have occurred in the past ten years in this mountainous area. Much of the land is being sold as the older family members die out, and the remaining heirs no longer desire to keep the land.
Copyrighted 2008 BMB