This magnificent pro-cathedral Church, in perpendicular Gothic, stands in the centre of the town, near the Market Place, and at the junction of the three principal streets, Kirkgate, Westgate, and Northgate. Till within the last few years it was so surrounded by houses that the whole of it could not be seen at any point; but through the praiseworthy exertions of the inhabitants, these obstacles were, in the year 1821, removed, the Church-yard increased in extent and surrounded by the present elegant iron railings, which allow a full view of the beautiful fabric within it. The shops removed were: - Mr. Shaw, music seller; Rein Deer Inn, Pork Shop; Jeremiah Bucktrout, grocer; Ring of Bells Inn; Mr Longstaff, barber; Wakefield Dispensary; Mr. Harris's, watchmaker.
The Tower is very large, embattled and pinnacled, containing a clock and chimes, together with a fine peal of ten bells, and having a spire which is one of the loftiest in the kingdom. This Church was given by William, Earl of Warren, to God and St. Pancras, and the Monks of Lewes in Sussex. Geoffry Plantaganet, Archbishop of York, confirmed to them the pension of sixty shillings out of it, most probably as a compensation on realising the advowson to the representative of the original patron.
On the 4th of the Ides of August, Anno 1329, William de Milton, Archbishop of York, dedicated and consecrated the Parish Church, together with these altars therein, viz:- The Great Altar to honour of All Saints; The Altar on South side to St. Mary, the Virgin; The Altar on the North side to St. Nicholas; The Altar in the middle of the Chancel to St. Peter. In November, 1348, the Church, being given by the King, was by William, Archbishop of York, appropriated to the Dean and College of the Free Chapel Royal of St. Stephen, in the King's Palace of Westminster, who, in recompense of the damage done to his Cathedral Church thereby, reserved out of the fruits thereof to himself and successors, Archbishops, the annual pension of twenty shillings, and to the Dean and Chapter ten shillings per annum.
To the Church of Wakefield were belonging 24 Chantry Priests, each of whom had his lodgings in certain houses on the North of the Church-yard in Northgate, and in the street called Bread Booth, now Bread Street.
According to Archbishop Holgate's return of Chantries, the following were in the Parish
Church and Town of Wakefield:-
The Chantry called Pilkington's Chantry, founded by Sir John Pilkington.
Soothill's Chantry of Four Priests, founded by Henry Soothill.
The Chantry of our Lady.
Graistock Chantry, founded by William Graistock.
Bannister's Chantry, founded by Hunstan Bannister.
Chantry of Two Priests on Wakefield Bridge, refounded by Edward, Duke of York.
Chantry of St. Mary Maudeline, founded by Locke.
Chantry of St. Swithen, founded by Earl Warren.
Most of these Chantries are no longer to be traced; it seems, however, probable that the Chantry of St. Swithen (founded by an Earl Warren), and of which Dr. Whitaker, in his "Loidis and Elmete," says he can find no vestige, was near to the well called St. Swithen's well, at no great distance from Stanley Hall, and called in Archbishop Holgate's return, the Chantry of St. Maudeleine Bridge. St. John's Chantry was at the top of Northgate, where it has been erroneously supposed that the original Parish Church once stood. Leland, in his Itinerary, mentions that near one of the Charities an Anchorite lived, and when Dodsworth made his survey, an excavation on the South side of the remains of St. John's Chantry was pointed out to him as the Anchorite's ancient abode. There appear to have been three distinct erections of this Church:-
1st. The original Saxon or Norman edifice, which remained till the beginning of the reign of Edward the Third, whilst John, last Earl of Warren, was tenant of Wakefield for life.
2nd. The Church consecrated by Archbishop William Melton, 1329. This Church, being accommodated to the then increased population of the town, consisted of three Aisles, and might have been supposed likely to have endured for many years; but for some reason, now unknown, it was, with the exception of the Tower and Spire, entirely demolished in about 140 years from its erection, and the present beautiful structure rose in its place. It has, indeed, been asserted, on tradition, that the Church originally stood on other ground, but for this report there is no sort of foundation. In the year 1724, the South side of the Church was entirely rebuilt, and within the last 50 years the north side and east end have been also rebuilt, and a commodious vestry added at that end (which was removed at the restoration of the (Church in 1857). The length of the Church is 156 feet, and its breadth 69. The Tower (which from its style of architecture, appears to be about the time of Edward III., and consequently belonged to the second Church) is 22 feet in the inside, and with its spire more than 237 feet high. The Spire is octagonal; four of its sides stand on the walls of the tower, the other four are supported by arches which spring from below the floor of the spire, and extend from the side of the tower. Its original height was above 125 feet; the walls at its base where it rises from the tower are 10 inches thick. In the year of 1715 the vane with about one third of the Spire having been blown down, it was partially rebuilt, but neither to its original altitude nor in due proportion with the old part. These repairs were considered effectual until the year 1802 when on inspecting the Spire, it was found so much shaken towards the summit, that the stones for several courses were quite separated from each other, and admitted the weather on all sides. On the suggestion of several gentlemen of experience it was a second time repaired, and secured by iron bands, surrounding it at intervals from the summit to its base; but in the year 1823 fears were again entertained of its security. The vane, which for a long period had been stationary, and thus offered a great resistance to the wind had loosened many parts of the masonry so that Mr Charles Mountain, an eminent architect of Hull, employed by the Churchwardens to examine it stated the necessity of taking down and rebuilding 15 feet thereof, in order to render it perfectly secure. This was done, besides which the Spire has been carried up to the height it was when first completed. A new vane is also fixed upon it of a lighter construction than the former, and which by offering a smaller surface to the action of the wind, is less liable to do future injury. The tower has suffered by the introduction of a large belfry-window and doorway beneath; in other respects it retains all its original character.
The Restoration Committee in 1857 deputed George Gilbert Scott, Esq., the eminent architect (afterwards Sir George Gilbert Scott, R.A.), to report on the General Restoration, and by his advice, the outside work of taking down the Spire was commenced. The Tower was encased with stone, the Spire rebuilt, the Clock repaired, and the Old Quarterings supplemented by the Cambridge Chimes. The next work was the removal of the West or Organ Gallery, and the noble organ now occupies a conspicuous position in the North Aisle of the Chancel.
ir George Gilbert Scott recommended the entire removal of the Vestry (which originally stood at the East end of the Church), and the present one was erected on the North-east end of the Church recently. The wall and outside buttresses, and East Window, have been re built with finials and battlements, over which stands a niche containing a figure representing Walter de Melton, he having consecrated a Church upon the present site. A faculty was obtained by the Churchwardens, with the consent of the Vicar and other gentlemen, who acted as Commissioners, which enabled them to carry out the following objects, namely:- The removal of the North and South Galleries, the re-laying of the Chancel floor, and the removal of the plaster and wash (the accumulation of years) from the walls, besides other works. The unsightly painting, representing the Ascension, by Williams, which stood beneath the East Window, was removed, and a handsome Reredos erected in lieu of it, built of Caen stone and white marble, after the design of the architect, representing various scenes of the Passion. Beneath the East window are written and illuminated the Creed and Lord's Prayer, together with paintings of some of the Prophets and Evangelists.
The old semi-circular Altar Rail was then removed, the Sanctuary brought more into the Chancel, and the Communion Table is now approached by flights of steps, the floor of the Sanctuary being inlaid with encaustic tiles, bearing the devices of the "Arms of England," "The Corporation," "The Bishop of the Diocese," and "The late Vicar, Rev. Canon Camidge." The flooring of the Chancel has been inlaid, over the old grave-stones, with durable stone and black marble, in pattern.
The noble Screen, dividing the Chancel from the Nave from the North and the South Aisles, has been extended to the East wall, with folding doors thereto; the Choir re-seated, and the old Screen cleaned and restored. The whole of the old and unsightly pews in the Nave were also removed, the floor levelled, and handsome open seats of oak, with carved ends, re-placed the old ones. The tracery of the windows throughout, with one exception (the window over the Vestry), has been restored to harmonise with the architecture of the building. The East and West windows, and nine other windows in the South Chancel and South Aisle, with two on the other side, have been filled in with painted glass, by representatives of families in the town and neighbourhood and others; the several Works of Art of Messrs. Lavers and Barrand, London; Messrs. Hardman and Son, and Messrs. Hardman and Co., Birmingham; Mr Kemp, London, and Mr Barnett, Newcastle. The ancient Font, repaired and beautified, now stands near the baptistry window. The porch on the north Chancel aisle has been removed, and an elaborate doorway placed in its stead; the South Porch restored at the cost of Major Barker, and a handsome flight of steps and new Priests entrance to the South Chancel added. The ceilings of the Chancel, Nave, and Aisles have been decorated, and give an effective finish to the restoration. The Nave and Aisles are lighted by brass coronae and the Sanctuary, Choir, and Aisles by standards. The entire Church has been heated by Haden and Son's (Trowbridge) improved system of heating, and a new approach has been made to the West or Tower entrance. At a meeting of Churchwardens held in the vestry of the Parish Church on January 7th, 1886.
Present:- Mr. John Saville, junr., in the chair, it was resolved to invite the Vicar (Rev. Canon Straton), Sir Edward Green, Bart., M.P., Major Barker, Mr. T. K. Sanderson, Rev. W. A. Lewis, and Rev. A. E. Jalland, to a complimentary dinner at the Bull Hotel, on February 1st, 1886, and the Hon. Secretary (Dr. G. H. Crowther) was requested to send the invitations. After dinner Major Barker generously offered to restore the three buttresses and parapet west of the south porch, and Sir Lionel Pilkington, Bart., the three buttresses and parapet east of the Priest's entrance to the south Chancel.
In pulling down the largest of the south buttresses of the Wakefield Parish Church, Messrs.
Summers, the contractors, found two small oblong copper plates, about 6in. by 4in. each, which
had evidently been placed in the stone work in 1725, or about 161 years ago. One of the plates
bears a crest, coat of arms, or some other device on the top, and below are engraved the names
of the Rev. T. Scott (who was at that time the Vicar) and the eight churchwardens then in
The other plate contains the name of William Briggs, the sexton. In re-building buttress they on September 16th, 1886, inserted a bottle containing a copy of the previous Saturday's Wakefield Herald and Express, Thursday's Yorkshire Post, and copies of the last Parish Church Guide and Statement of Accounts, with the following, which had been written in a robust law style on parchment by Messrs. Charles E. Graham and F. Hall, of the Registry Office:-
In the name of God, Amen.
In the month of September in the year of our Lord Christ one thousand eight hundred and eighty-six and in the fiftieth year of the reign of her most Gracious Majesty Victoria (D.G.) Queen of Great Britain and Ireland, and Empress of India, this scroll is deposited in commemoration of the restoration of eleven buttresses and other stone work on the south side of this Parish Church of Wakefield. The whole cost has been defrayed as follows:- For three buttresses by Major Joseph Parker, J.P., of Holmefield, Thornes. For three more and repairs to the Pickington Chantry by Sir Lionel Milborne Swinnerton Pilkington, Baronet, of Chevet. For the remaining five buttresses the Churchwardens, from contributions made by themselves and others.
This portion of the work is intended to complete the general restoration of tower, spire, south porch, windows, organ, new vestry, and oaken stalls in place of pews. Dedicated to the glory of Almighty God and the free use of all devout worshippers, and to make the edifice suitable for a Cathedral Church for the first Bishop of Wakefield who, it is trusted, will be appointed next year.
All this has been done at great cost of labour and money, the free will offerings of the friends of the Church, and this memorial thereof is here placed in the time of these officials.
The Right Reverend William Boyd Carpenter, Lord Bishop of Ripon. The Reverend Norman Dumenil
John Straton, Vicar of Wakefield and Canon of Ripon. The Reverend Henry Gason Ince and the
Reverend John Wright Moore, Curates.
James Cardwell, Benjamin Edward Depledge, James Fowler, Vicar's Wardens.
John Edward Kaye.
Thomas Senior, William Aked Statter, Parishioner's
John William Whitaker, Wardens.
Francis Henry Wood.
John Saville, Sacristan.
William G. Buckley, Parish Clerk.
William Storrs, Verger.
Reuben Reynolds, Mayor of the Borough of Wakefield.
William Watson, Architect.
John Summers, George Summers, Builders.
This work completes the undertaking commenced in 1857, on the report of the late Sir Gilbert Scott, and the memorial thus consigned to the safe custody of stone and mortar will be confirmation strong to some future antiquarian as to the circumstances under which the present restoration has taken place.
The work of restoration, which has now been extended over nearly a quarter of a century, will be finally completed by the time the Church Congress meets in October, 1886. Over £29,000 has been spent in restoring the Church.
CHAPEL ON THE BRIDGE
Much might be written on the various points of architectural interest in the Church (which will now seat about 1,500 persons), of its painted memorial and other windows (which are much admired); of its hundred memorials; and of the succession of pastors who have therein ministered; but all this must be left for a future volume.
The Church Bells.
There have been at least four different peals of bells in the tower. In 1778 the inhabitants empowered the Churchwardens to contract with Messrs. Pack and Chapman, of London, for an exchange of the old bells, which were hung in 1739, for a new peal of eight, the tenor to weigh 24 cwt., the rest in proportion. This peal was put up soon after, and in the year 1817 was displaced by the present musical one of ten bells from the foundry of Mr Thomas Mears, of London, who, on that occasion, presented the Churchwardens with a peal of twelve hand bells for the use of the ringers for the time being.
Weight of the Present Peal.
CWT QRS LBS.
Treble 7 1 10
2nd 7 0 8
3rd 8 0 6
4th 8 0 6
5th 9 0 18
6th 11 2 4
7th 13 2 26
8th 16 0 15
9th 21 1 14
Tenor 31 0 9
CWT 133 2 4
The present chimes were put up in 1795, by Mr George Goodall, of Tadcaster; who, in addition to the old set of chimes, had the sum of £55 paid him for the same. The Tunes are:- Sunday Psalm "Sheldon;" Monday, Gramachree; Tuesday, "Sandie o're the lea;" Wednesday, "See the Conquering Hero comes;" Thursday, A March; Friday, " Miller of Mansfield;" Saturday, "God save the Queen."
Carved on a beam which supports the bells, on the south side of the bell-chamber, is the following;-George Arnet, vicar; Samuel Moor, John Banks, Benjamin Micklethwaite, Francis Norton, Samuel Knowles, Phillip Haist, John Scott, Robert Lumb, Churchwardens; James Harrison, of Barrow-in-Lincolnshire, bell-hanger, 1739. On the North side of the belfry are five boards, with the following in the ringer's belfry;-
FIRST BOARD. Belfry of All Saints' Church, Wakefield.
On Monday, the 16th day of October, 1820, was rung by the Society of Ringers, a complete peal of Grandsire's caters, comprising 6030 changes of 69 eights and 68 nines, composed and conducted by William Woodhead, and was performed in 3 hours and 44 minutes. The positions taken were:- William Woodhead, treble; Joseph Sugden, second; Joseph Priestley, third; George Pickering, fourth; Richard Wilkinson, fifth; James Gill, sixth; Joseph Gill, seventh; John Hall, eighth; Robert Collet ninth; John Wilson and Thomas Walsh, tenor. Peal-First course end 357,462, second ditto 542,763, third ditto 473,265, fourth ditto 725,364, fifth ditto 234,567. On the 27th August, 1814, the above named William Woodhead rung the 7th bell in the parish church at Otley, through a peal of Treble Bob, consisting of 12,320 changes in 7 hours and 15 minutes, being the longest peal in that method ever rung in England. This board was placed here by order of the Churchwardens, in consequence of the attention and good conduct of the ringers.
SECOND BOARD. V.R.
On Thursday, November 18th, 1852, the Wakefield company of change ringers ascended the tower and rung a tune and complete peal of Kent Treble and Bob Royal, comprising 50,280 changes in the space of three hours and forty minutes. William Milnes treble, George Link second, William Fawcett third, Tom Priestly fourth, Robert Beaumont fifth, George Milnes sixth, William Scott seventh, Joe Healey eighth, Charles Hall ninth, Thomas Gillyard tenor. The peal 64352, 63542, first 25346, first end 42356, second end 34256, third end 23456. The above peal was rung in respect for the memory of Field Marshal the late Duke of Wellington, being the day of his interment, composed by the late William Hudson, of Sheffield, and conducted by Mr William Scott.
On Wednesday, the 10th day of October, 1821, the Society of Ringers executed a peal of Caters on Steadman's principle, consisting of 5079 changes, in three hours and eleven minutes, which was performed by the following persons, viz., William Woodhead treble, Joseph Sugden second, Joseph Priestly third, George Pickering fourth, Thomas Rapton fifth, James Gill sixth, Joseph Gill seventh, John Hall eighth, Robert Collett ninth, John Milsom tenor. On Saturday 26th October, 1822, nine of the Society of Ringers at this Church, with Joseph Tebbs, of Leeds, succeeded in accomplishing a peal of Cambridge Surprise Royal, comprising 5040 changes, in three hours and thirty-five minutes, being the first peal ever attempted in the above difficult method by any set of men in the Kingdom, which will be a standing laurel for the society for ages to come. The above peal was composed and conducted by Mr. William Woodhead the band as stationed thus:- Mark Blackburn treble, Joseph Sugden second, Joseph Tebbs third, George Pickering fourth, John Hall fifth, James Gill sixth, Joseph Gill seventh, Thomas Netherwood eighth, William Woodhead ninth, Robert Collett tenor. The peal:- 54632, 36245, 42563, 65324, first part and 42356 second part end 34256, third part end 23456, last.
All Saints' Church, Wakefield.
On Thursday the 15th of November, 1883, ten of the Wakefield Society of Ringers ascended this tower, and rung a tune and complete peal of Grandsires Caters, comprising 5004 changes in three hours and forty eight minutes. The company was stationed thus;- William Milnes treble, James Firth second, R. Wrigley third, J. P. Healey fourth, W. Scott fifth, J. T. Hollis sixth, W. Firth seventh, G. H. Orman eighth, T. S. Moorhouse ninth, J. Sykes tenor. First part end 24536, 24586, second part end 46325, third part end 43526, fourth part end 23456. The peal was composed by Mr. James Burman, of Yarmouth, and conducted by Mr. Walter Scott. T. Naylor, writer.
5040 KENT TREBLE BOB ROYAL.
On Saturday, Feb. 7th, 1885, ten members of the Yorkshire Association of Change Ringers ascended this tower and rang, in 3 hrs. and 35 mins., 5040 changes of Kent Treble Bob Royal, the ringers being stationed as follows:- Tom Prince, Wakefield, Treble Course ends. Jas. Firth, do. 2 23456 Richd. Wrigley, do 3 52364 Thos. Pollitt, Bradford, 4 24365 Jos. Cheetham, do. 5 45362 Jos. H. Hardcastle, do. 6 54263 William Firth, Wakefield, 7 52643 John T. Hollis, do. 8 63425 Thos. Hattersley,Sheffield,9 35426 Robert Binns, Leeds, Tenor 24536 25346 23546 This peal was composed by the late J. Reeves, and conducted by Mr. R. Wrigley.
5040 GRANDSIRE TRIPLE.
On Monday, April 12th, 1886, eight members of the Parish Church Company (members of the
Yorkshire Association of Change Ringers) ascended this tower and rung in 3 hrs. and 30 mins.
5040 changes of Grandsire Triples, the ringers being stationed as follows:-
Richd. Wrigley Treble. Part-ends. James Firth 2 234567 William Firth 3 253746 Tom Prince 4 275634 Jno. T. Hollis 5 267453 Thos. Ormond 6 246375 Thos. Moorhouse 7 234567 John Styles Tenor
This peal was composed and conducted by Mr. J. T. Hollis, and the first ever accomplished on the heavy eight.
LEAD CASTINGS ON ROOF OF CHURCH.
M. Wortley T. Backhouse. W. Beale. T. Tunstall. W. Richardson. W. Ottley. J. Smith. E. Midgley. Churchwardens.
J. and T. Backhouse, plumbers, 1778.
M. Bacon, D.D., vicar. J. Hartley. R. Webster J. Audsley. W. Spicer. B. Thompson. J. Harrison. T. Wetherhill. G. Green. Churchwardens.
J. Drake, plumber, 1800.
"Let all things be done decently and in order."
Rev. S. Sharp, vicar. D. Maude. G. Ridsdall. E. Storr. H. W. Hodgson. J. Hall. W. Ottley. J. Halliley. J. Battey. Churchwardens.
R. Backhouse, plumber, 1812.
"God preserve the Church of England."
"May the Eye that seeth all things Ever protect the Church."
Rev. S. Sharp, vicar. S. Statter. R. Hodgson. W. Batt. J. Hardcastle. G. Kitchen. T. Marshall. T. Field. W. Robinson. Churchwardens.
J. Drake, plumber, 1813.
"Surely this is the House of God."
Rev. S. Sharp, vicar.
S. Statter. J. Dixon. J. Lodge. J. Soulby. S. Lingatt. G. Westerman. J. Wormald. Churchwardens.
J. Drake, plumber, 1818.
List and Weight of the Communion Plate in the Wakefield Parish Church. WEIGHT. Oz Dwts.
One large Silver Flaggon, Deo et ecclesise de Wakefield, 1743 98 18
One Flaggon, gilt, same size as last, ex dono Mrs. Hannah Redshaw
to Wakefield Church, the 25th December, 1723 77 13
One smaller Flaggon, gilt, the gift of the Rev. Thomas Scott 19 2
One Chalice, "My blood is drink indeed," 20 0
One Chalice, "The words which I speak are spirit and life" 20 2
One small Chalice and Stand, in case, for the use of Wakefield Church, 18th June, 1740, 5 16
Two small Silver Flagons, gilt, 35 5
One large Silver Dish, gilt, Gullelmus Malin, 1690 47 10
One Silver Salver, gilt, "My flesh is meat indeed," 14 7
One Ditto "Jesus said I am the bread of Life," 14 7
Total 464 18
RECTORY HOUSES, 1820.
Rectory and Vicarage Houses.
The Rectory House was a very extensive building of brick and stone. Its last occupants were the
Misses Irvine as a Ladies' Boarding School. It used to stand at the lower part of the vicarage
croft, and close to it the vicarage house, of which Leland remarks:-
"The Vicarage at the este end of the Chirch arth is Iarge and faire; it was the parsonage
hous' not verry many years syns, for he that now lyveth is the fourth or fifth vicar that hath
been ther. Afore impropriation of this benefice to St Stephene College of Westminster, the
parsonage was a great living yn, soe much that one of the Earls Warines, Lord of Wakefield and
much of the Country thereabout, did give the parsonage to a sunne or nere kindman of his, and
he made the moste parte of the hous' wher' the Vicarage now is". In the year 1769 several
additions were made to this house, when a subscription was raised in 1769 for putting it into
The site of the Rectory was where are the Freemason's Hall, School-house, and Mr. Haworth's maltkiln. In the Freemason's Hall is the carved oaken bannister of the old house which was pulled down about 1847. The Conservative Club now occupies the vicarage, on the other side of Zetland street.
Rectors and Vicars of All Saints', Wakefield.
Dom. Rich. de Lechebroe June, 1238. P. de Fihelden May, 1243. VICARS. Thom. de Drayton June 21, 1349. Hen. de Grenehod Oct. 8, 1349. Joh. de Whitelay May 11, 1362. John Stadefete Aug. 6, 1369. William Wodroove Aug. 6, 1372. John Bolteby cui pensio £10, pro vita. Rt. Bever, Pbr obiit,1437, June 3, 1435. John Lounde, Pbr 1437. John Preston 1443. Thomas Rogers Sept.23, 1462. Thomas Knolles June 30, 1502. Thomas Robertson June 13, 1546. William Morton Feb. 1587. Edward Mawde, A.M. April 20,1593. William Lister, A.M. May 3, 1598. Tim Mawde, A.M. Feb 28, 1620. Jac Lister, A.M. Aug. 15, 1625. Obadiah Lee Feb. 18, 1667. Thomas Scott, A.M. Mch. 18, 1700. George Arnott, A.M. May 11, 1729. Benjamin Wilson Sept.16, 1750. Michael Bacon, D.D. Oct. 1764. Richard Munkhouse, D.D. Sept. 1805. Samuel Sharp, M.A. Feb. 3, 1810. C. J. Camidge Autumn 1855. Norman D. J. Straton Aug, 10, 1875.
The Church Establishment at Wakefield.
From the Record Office:-
Certificates of Chantries and Colleges (in the reign of) Henry VIII. and Edward VI. Yorkshire, West Riding. Made by virtue of the King's Commission, which was issued 21st June, 1548, Wakefield having 'housling people' (i.e., communicants) to the number of 2,000. In the Chantry of our Lady there. There is no incumbent now; freehold, £4 0s. 7d.; copyhold, 56s. 11½d. (pensions £2). The Chantry of four priests there called Sothill Chantry, the incumbent's whereof have none other living but £24 4s. 7d. in freehold lands thereto belonging, equally divided among them, viz., to:- Thomas Haryson, 116s 1¼d.; Turner, 116s. 1¼d.; John Wilson, 116s. 1¼d. (pension 100s.); William Croxton 116s. 1¼d. (pension 100s.) (These "pensions" mean that the priests were pensioned off). Thomas Harrison and Thomas Turner, appointed to be assistants to the Cure, and each of them to have for his living £7, to be paid by the receiver (of course the Government Officer, the Chantry being suppressed). The Chantry, called Pilkington Chantry; William Swaine incumbent there; freehold, 108s.; copyhold £2 (pension 100s). The Trinity Chantry there, alias Graistock Chantry, Christopher Stead incumbent there; freehold, £4 7s. 2½d.; copyhold 40s 1½d. (pension £4 7s. 2d). Thurston Chantry there, Edward Woode, Incumbent there; freehold. £4 4s.; copyhold, £2 (pension £4 4s). The services of the Manor Map there, Richard Northern, Incumbent there; freehold, 58s. 10½d.; copyhold 18s. (pension 58s. 10d). The Chantry of two Priests upon Wakefield Bridge; the Incumbents whereof, freehold £10 2s. 2½d.; copyhold, £3 4s. 6d., thereto belonging, equally divided between them, viz., to:- Tristram Harton, freehold, 101s. 1½d.; copyhold, 32s. 3d.; Richard Steele, freehold, 101s. 1½d.; copyhold, 32s. 3d. (pension of each 100s). The Chantry in the chapel of (St.) Mary Magdalene there, Richard Batt, Incumbent there; freehold, 27s. 10 3/4d; copyhold, 22s. 8d. (pension 37s.10d). The Chantry within the Chapel of St. John's there, George Leighe, Incumbent there; copyhold, 31s. 6d.: freehold, £2. The Chantry in the Chapel of St. Swithin there, Thomas Westerman, Incumbent there; freehold, 41s. 2d.; copyhold, 38s. 7½d. (pension 41s. 5d). Assistants to the Cure. Memorandum, whereas in the said parish of Wakefield, the said Cure of 2,000 housling people (communicants) have been served by the help of the forsaid fourteen (XIIII) Chantries and stipendiary priests or ministers appointed of the said Chantries, and stipendiary priests, whose abilities appeareth in the certificate, and others to succeed them in perpetuity to help to serve the said Cure, having none less but a Vicar and two parish priests, whereof one serveth in a chapel two miles distant from the Parish Church, the Vicarage being but of the yearly value of £20, and the parsonage (Rectory) in the King's Majesty's possession, of the yearly value of £47.
It is known very well where some of the aforesaid Chantries stood. St. Mary's on the Bridge is visible to everyone. St. Mary Magdalen's was, I believe, on or near the Bridge on Westgate Common; St. Swithin's, at or near St. Swithin's Well; and St. John's, somewhere about where the present Grammar School stands, and therefore not very far from the present St. John's Church. The Pilkington Chantry, too, may still be seen in the Parish Church, but denuded alas! of its altar, its ancient ornaments and beauty. This Chantry was dedicated to "Our Lady," St. Mary. Still, in the aforesaid extracts we find mention of, apparently, another Chantry of "Our Lady." I am not aware that anyone can point out with certainty the sites of the "Sothill," the "Trinity," or the "Thurston" Chantries. No doubt the high altar in the Old Church stood where the present one does, and it is, I think, unquestionable that another Chantry altar stood under the east window of the north chancel. Where then could the other have been? Or may we suppose, what I believe was sometimes the case, that one and the same altar served for more than one Chantry-service? Indeed the account of the "Thurston Chantry" seems to imply such an arrangement, because the "Manor Map" appears to have been saved there, in addition to the "Thurston" one. The Chapel two miles distant must, I suppose, refer to Horbury, where there was an ancient church or chapel before the present one.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids