This village band started with its headquarters in a room above a stable at the rear of an ale house known as the Miners Arms. It was situated on the corner of Lee Moor Road.
The band started as a string and bass in the year 1889. Mrs Walker of Lofthouse has a photograph which shows her father, Mr W. Goldthorpe, and her uncle, Mr N. Goldthorpe, along with other band members A. Colley, T. Field, F. Holgate, W. Clarke, A. Whitam, J. Ward, J. T. Seaton, A. Field, W. H. Sampson, A. Savage and G. Lunn. The conductor was Mr L. Turner.
For 100 years the band has had some members in it from the Holgate family. At one time there were 14 members of the family playing various instruments in the band. Special mention must be made of Fred, a son of one of the founders. Fred started playing in the band when he was 12 years of age and was still playing after he had celebrated, with his fellow members, the band's centenary. The band played at Crystal Palace at the 30th anniversary of the Great National Band Festival on 26th September 1936.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids