This building is situated on the east side of the Aberford Road, almost opposite the entrance on the west side of Pinderfields Hospital. Originally named Bradford Hall when it was built in 1542 on the site of an older hall which, it is recorded, as being surrounded by a moat. A family named Bradford lived there. When the original owner, Brian Bradford, died it would appear to have been occupied by successive family members, the last being John Bradford who died in 1626 leaving his estate to his three daughters.
In 1626 the house was purchased by a Humphrey Wingfield and it was with that family until 1677 when it was purchased by Benjamin Clarke who had married Prescilla Wingfield, the sister of the then owner. Benjamin Clarke renamed the house 'Clarke Hall' and it is still known by that name. The house remained in the family until 1788 when it was sold with 50 acres of land for £3,000 to a Sir Michael Pilkington tenant at that time, Mr John Haldene, who did work to restore the defective parts of the house. It is now the property of the West Riding County Council.
The following are extracts of a deed of tenancy in 1862 involving James Henry Haldane:-
'To hold at a rent of £360 per year, plus a further rent of £40 per acre for every meadow or pasture land ploughed, dug up or converted into tillage.
'That the tenant shall keep in good repair and condition all the demised premises except the roofs, beams and main walls.
'That the tenant shall manure and cultivate the lands; shall keep clean all the ditches, water courses aud drains.
'That the tenant shall pay all rates, taxes, except the Landlord's property tax.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids