Hadfield Hall was originally built between 1598 and 1608 for Gervase Hadfield. It was occupied by this family for almost 300 years. There is a record in the Wakefield Parish Church of the baptism of Francis, a son of Gervase Hadfield, on July 29th 1613. Gervase himself, the founder of this Stanley family, was buried on June 4th 1654.
In 1897 the owner, James Hadfield Harter, put the estate up for sale. The description of the Hall within 88 acres of ground makes reference to 11 bedrooms and 3 dressing rooms in addition to large and elegant dining and drawing rooms, library and morning room. The property was secured by an offer of £3,750; the new owner being Herbert Beaumont, a solicitor. After his death on January 2nd 1917, the house and property was sold to the West Riding Asylums Board and it became a Hospital for mentally handicapped women. Late in 1986 the building was destroyed by fire and has not yet been restored (1993).
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids