NOTES OF INTEREST FROM 1922 STANLEY TRADES DIRECTORY
Stanley Lake Lock (boys) School was erected in 1847 and enlarged in 1897 for 182 children. William Summers (Master).
A girls' school was erected in 1881 for 200 children. Miss M. Walker (Mistress).
Stanley Grove (mixed) was erected in 1907 for 24 children. George Duke (Master).
Lee Moor for 55 children. Miss C. Whitelock (Mistress)
Bottomboat (infants) for 83 children. Miss Alice Watts (Mistress).
Stanley Lane End Council School was erected in 1914 for 250 mixed and 180 infants, Charles Neal (Head Master) and J. Taylor (Infants Mistress).
According to records there was a further school in Stanley erected in 1878 for 80 children. W. G. Robson (Head Mistress). This would be at the top of Baker Lane on Canal Road.
St. Swithen's School, Ferry Lane, was built in 1878 for 80 pupils. Miss W. F. Robson was Head Mistress in 1927.
The following is an extract from a 1723 census:-
AN ACCOUNT OF THE NUMBER OF FAMILIES, COMMUNICANTS AND SOULS IN THE TOWN AND PARISH OF WAKEFIELD TAKEN DECEMBER 9TH AD 1723.
FAMILIES COM'NTS SOULS WAKEFIELD NORTHGATE 243 627 1039 WAKEFIELD KIRKGATE 336 921 1449 WAKEFIELD WESTGATE 321 999 1645 900 2547 4133 PARISH OF WRENTHORPE 162 352 607 PARISH OF ALVERTHORPE 192 495 769 PARISH OF THORNES,ETC. 48 137 209 PARISH OF STANLEY 120 316 532 1422 3847 6250
A reference to Stanley in the Domesday Book reads as follows:-
TO THIS MANOR BELONGS THE FOLK OF THESE LANDS 'CRIGEFLONE' - TEN OXGANGS, BRETTON - ONE CARCUATE, 'OREBERIE' - TWO CARCUATES AND FEVEN OXGANGS, 'OFLET' - THREE CARUCATES AND A HALF, 'ETTONE' - ONE CARUCATEM 'STANLIE' - THREE CARUCATES.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids