Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Website logo - Click to go to Home page



Bygone Stanley - Woollen Industry

STANLEY'S SMALL CONTRIBUTION TO THE GROWTH OF THE WOOLLEN INDUSTRY

I noted in the Baines Trade Directory 1822/1830 a mention of - John North, John Pickard, William Reyner and John Screw - who were in business in Stanley as twine spinners.

The Rev. Burell of Stanley received evidence from elderly people in Stanley of the manufacture of cloth in houses and small workshops in the 18th century.

'The premises, late the property of Mr Tomlinson and now in possession of Mr Glover was formerly used as a dwelling, weaving shops and farm buildings. Huffinley's house at the top of Stanley Hill and now the property of Mr Clover and lately covered with slates instead of the former thatch is part of a set of buildings like the last described. The thatched cottages descending Stanley Hill, John Sykes' house and James Thompson's house and at the foot of the hill were the residences of Mr Shackleton, John Stead and Joseph Best respectively, all of whom were tanning weavers, and in Finkin Lane, Erringron's house and Sarah Hartley's were residences of wearers. '(This house is still occupied).

Tanning or stuffs of two turmils were made of thread of warp, that is both warp and woof was twisted thread made from hand-comfred warp. Wool was combed by being first placed on one comb fixed to the wall, and then combed by passing a second comb through it several times. The straightened wool was then drawn through a ring by means of both hands in the form of a sliver and was then ready for spinning. The cloth was collected by a Master Dresser and carried to the river by packhorse to be sold in a cloth market such as the ones in Wakefield and Leeds.

Next Section


JGC Logo Valid HTML5 Logo HTML5 Logo Valid CSS3 Logo JGC Logo
Copyright logo
This page (wool.html) was last modified on Sunday 27/01/2013